Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pruning Buddleia



The weather is warmer by the day and plants are sending out new shoots. Having pruned the roses my eye now falls on the Buddleia for a tough but fair treatment. If I don't get to grips with the plants whilst they are still young, they will grow up all woody and leggy. So trimming back to 2 inches (5 cm) of the old wood is the only way. I go round with the secateurs telling them that 'This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you' anf hope they forgive me. Dreams of the shrubs covered in blooms in jewel colours - I particularly like the pink - and swarms of butterflies drive me on. Cruel to be kind.
Y

1 comment:

Esther Montgomery said...

It's odd reading this post because new Buddleias pop up here as weeds and I go along chopping them down and up before they get to grips with the wall.

Eshter